Brightway Logo
Answers & Community for Brain Injury
Ask a QuestionAsk Question

Is there something like stretching or exercise or yoga that can be done to best improve flexibility?

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Senior physical therapist

Answer transcribed from Brightway's interview with Dr. Cristen Gordon (pt.1):


Yes, yoga or tai chi stretching. If you're not sure what stretches to do, of course, every person's body is different, you would want to get with a physical therapist. There are even some athletic trainers and personal trainers who are good at working with patients who have had brain injury. They can figure out which muscles you may need to stretch to give you some relief, whether it's pain or maybe you just feel tight. They can help show you the exercises and train you how to do them so you can do them on your own. 


Other opportunities include yoga. Yoga is wonderful because not only is it a range of motion, it's highly adaptable. If maybe you can't stand or your balance isn't that great, you can adapt the yoga positions in order to be able to get the stretch you need but in a safe way without losing your balance, falling, or having to get on the floor. The same goes with tai chi, it’s also very adaptable. There are a lot of local chair yoga or chair tai chi classes that you can join. We're in Maryland but they're everywhere and all over the world. You can find these adaptive classes and especially now, a lot of them you can do virtually as well. The other thing you can do is if you have a physical therapist that you work with, you can just call and ask them if they can direct you into some classes that may be in your area as well.